Tuesday, April 2, 2013

SWFA SS 1x4-24 Illuminated Scope.

SWFA SS 1x4-24 Illuminated Reticle, Exposed Turret. A lot of scope for the money. 


I've dealt with a few scopes in the past and this one is definitely on the top rung of scopes I've owned...


This scope combines the reflex optic (Eotech, Aimpoint, Docter) with long range capabilities (ACOG, ELCAN) to end up with an optic that can go from clearing rooms to reaching out to touch the target. The first focal plane cross hairs are really clear at any power.



You can use an Allen wrench to reset the turrets to zero, just sight it in, pop off the turrets and realign them to zero. Simple and effective. The Bobro scope mount is really secure and fast, and it looks like it's design will keep its zero, regardless of how many times you remount the scope.


At 1 power it's almost as quick as my Eotech, engaging targets at 7 to 25 yards is fast, much faster than iron sights. A downside to many optics such as the ACOG is the limited eye relief. What you gain in range you lose in ability to quickly shoulder the rifle and acquire a sight picture. The SWFA scope has that virtually un-limited eye relief that you have with an Aimpoint, and the high definition glass that you get with the ACOG. 


The red is bright, This is at 6 power (goes up to 11) and it's plenty bright for daytime shooting. I prefer to leave the red illumination off during day light, I think the black ring works just fine. The adjustment knob for the illumination is well thought out, after each click to increase brightness is an off switch. This lets you set your brightness and then click one over to turn it off. 


At 4 power the SWFA scope easily engages targets at the longer ranges. I wouldn't expect to punch the ten ring every time at 400 yds, but you can engage man size targets at that range and be well within the ten ring at around 100 yards. The ammo I used at the range was some dirty surplus steel cased .223 and I was able to consistently put rounds into the "pie plate" at 100 yards without much effort on my part. Unless you are shooting a match grade rifle with match grade ammo I wouldn't worry much about the sub-MOA shots. (I'm sure that the scope is capable, I just don't know what function that would fill...)
 
There are those out there that are getting extreme accuracy out of their battle rifles, I'm not one of those people. I'm sure I could improve my skills in the accuracy department, and maybe this is a cop out, but I think all this chatter online about people shooting sub-MOA groups with off the shelf battle rifles at extreme ranges is overblown. Your experience may vary. 



This scope is built like a tank, If you think the ELCAN or ACOG is too heavy, you may want to try an 
Aimpoint or stick with irons, this scope is well built and as such it weighs a good pound or two. Throw in the Bobro quick detach mount and you will add a good heft to your rifle. I don't mind it overall, and I think the weight is very manageable, but off-hand shooting is tough for those longer ranges. I would suggest for those longer shots you either go prone or find something to act as a rifle rest. For those of you who run a FAL, M-14 or G-3, I'm sure you're shaking your head and wondering when I'll just man up and stop whining about my "obese" rifle. 


I threw some Butler Creek lens covers on each end to keep out dust and mud. The illumination knob houses the battery and a spare. I think battery run time is about 17 hrs on setting 7, I haven't tested it, but this should be plenty of run time if you reserve the illumination for when you need it at night. 

So why the need for this scope? Well that's a good question. I like optics mainly, I think they simplify the process to get rounds on target. I also like the ability to engage targets at night or in low light (ie. dusk and dawn), very few iron sights allow for this option. You have a definite advantage at night or during low light with an illuminated optic (try shooting your rifle at night with iron sights, or turn on your flashlight and become a target). I also like the option to engage targets at range, preferably at a range where they will have difficulty engaging me, allowing me to move out of the affected area.  


This cat-tail throw lever makes it easy to switch from 1 to 4 power while wearing gloves or under stress.

The downsides... the ordering process from SWFA was less than user friendly. It was a long wait and I'll hesitate before I let that much money sit for a few months again.   

Final thoughts: This scope really delivers where it counts, it works well at short ranges like a reflex or red dot, and it reaches out to the longer ranges when you need it, with better eye relief than an ACOG or traditional scope. If you're in the market for an exceptional scope that has the quality and built in features of scopes twice the cost, look no further.  


No comments:

Post a Comment