Friday, March 29, 2013

Bitten by a Colt, Now I have the Python fever. The iconic "COLT PYTHON" .357 Magnum


I'll try to keep this one fairly short, and try to let the pictures speak for themselves... ok, ok, I said I'll "try" to keep it short...

Someone once told me that every person should own three nice things at some point their lifetime

A nice automatic watch.

A nice fountain pen. 

and 

A nice classic pistol...


I don't know what it is about revolvers, but I just can't seem to get enough of them, going back for as long as I could buy firearms. I used to be restricted to what my wallet could afford, old junker S&W Model 19's and the odd rough and rusty Harrington Richardson Saturday night special. My first break in decent revolvers came with my Taurus Raging Bull 8 3/4 inch ported .44 Magnum, an excellent piece of steel, even if it did weigh 5 lbs and need a chest rig to tote it around, it was a well made, accurate shooting iron and I will miss it.

Well this revolver is in a bracket well above any of those previously mentioned... 

I guess it's about time I bought a gun or two that has some real appreciable value, and will continue to gain in value as it ages.

The Venerable COLT Python, the Rolls Royce of revolvers. 

For those of you who haven't yet caught Colt Python fever (Rick carries this gun in Walking Dead), it was introduced in the early 1950's on a gamble that the .357 Magnum cartridge would become popular, this is Colt's top tier revolver (The design is virtually unchanged since its introduction). Painstakingly hand fitted and hand polished, it was designed to be the best production revolver known to mankind. When properly tuned and timed, cocking the hammer feels like snapping a thin glass rod folded in a silk scarf, the cylinder locks up tighter than a bank vault and the trigger break is gin and tonic crisp. The finish on these guns was referred to as Colt Royal Blue, and is arguably one of the finest finishes ever given to a production firearm. From the gold medallions on the American walnut grips to the full underlug of the barrel this revolver screams Handmade in the USA! 

Sadly, the Python is a relic, an endangered species which is becoming harder and harder to catch in the wild, production of these revolvers has ceased (Forever, production stopped in early 2000) and the equipment, gunsmiths and technical skills that produced this gun have since been disbanded. Mine was built sometime in 1979 and is as solid and crispy crunchy as the day when it left the factory. 

This gun may be pretty but it's no safe queen. It was built to be fired, and I doubt I'll ever be able to wear it out from use. I think that may be its major attraction, it was built for function first and foremost, but no-one can deny that it has the form to follow.


Want one of your own? Well this one cost about as much as the car I drive to work. (kidding... it was about half that) No doubt that my wife will never let me forget this fact, and one does not "kid" about such matters (Wince!, sorry Honey).
Is it worth that much you ask? In truth I doubt it, but I ain't selling mine, and every day the market price for one of these goes up... check Gunbroker, prepare to be shocked (Then bid... if your significant other lets you)


I remember a couple years ago I saw a Colt Python, New In the Box, going for $850 at a local pawn shop... and at the time I thought that was a bit high... I kick myself every time I think about it.


Colt Python Fever, a passing fad? Only time will tell, but this one's been going strong for 60 something years, call me if your Pokemon collection, PT Cruiser, or Beanie Babies can claim the same stamina.



Dirty Harry carried a S&W Model 29, not the same, repeat, Not the same.







All seriousness aside, I'm not as obsessed as I sound. Take my above statements with a grain of salt, and remember that I kept tongue in cheek as I wrote this. I'm pleased as punch with this pistol, and it's nicer than I deserve, it's not for everyone, but if you want to dive into a fantastic; pass down to your grandkids, blast away at the range, and make your neighbors jealous pistol... look no further than the Colt Python.

They made them in 2.5" 3" 4" 6" and 8" inch versions in Nickel, Royal Blue or Stainless Steel. You pick which one suits your fancy. Or just like Pokemon... "Gotta catch em all!"

Hey, if nothing else I'd rather have this in my hand than a Rolex on my wrist during a potential mugging, but you may draw some strange looks at your next office board meeting... does one wear a black or grey suit with this accessory?


No comments:

Post a Comment