Friday, April 26, 2013

New Slabs for my Hog Leg (New Cocobolo Tactical Smooth Grips from Ahrends)

Ahrends Tactical Smooth Round Butt K-Frame Grips (Cocobolo)

Kim Ahrends' Grips are top notch. If you didn't catch my earlier post about my new S&W 686, it came with a set of Hogue mono conversion grips, excellent grips if you've got big hands, akin to griping a hard loaf of wheat bread if you have smaller hands like mine.


I like the profile of the 686 round butt, and while I think that a shooter may have a better target revolver with straight grips, if you're going to carry a good bit and shoot a little bit, low profile round butt grips make a really good choice.



Excellent fit for a set of production grips, they were tight on installation and the finish is superb. Its a shame to cover up the lines and backstrap of the round butt, and these grips tailor out the look well.

                  

With these Ahrends installed I put over 100 rounds downrange today, you get a little creep after rapid fire, and you may need to adjust your handhold after 6 heavy magnum shells. I used a high combat grip with these  grips (shown below with one hand for reference) and the pistol was easy to point and easy to make consistent quick shots, I was able to ring the gong a majority of the time when I ensured that the gun was grasped firmly.


With my old grips, my wife said I looked "a little too much like Rick Grimes from Walking Dead" with his pistol festooned about his person, bounding around when he moves and slapping his leg like a wet trout. I like a clean sturdy setup, more high speed and low drag, and these grips do the job nicely.



                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment