Saturday, December 28, 2013

Noveske NSR Rail Polymer Accessory Rail Cover Proper Installation Guide

Noveske NSR Rail Polymer Accessory Rail Cover Proper Installation Guide

These rail covers from Noveske can be difficult or impossible to install if you don't take it slow and smooth. I'll guide you through a painless install that doesn't result in mangled rail pieces or damage to your rail. 

Note- If you have a hammer/mallet out for this project.... PUT IT AWAY! You do not need a hammer. I've seen too many Youtube videos where people are using hammers to install these rail covers. Why would you use a hammer to install $10 pieces of plastic on a $280 rail. I didn't break even a single piece of plastic, and I never needed more than a little force to put these rail covers on. 


I only used one tool for this install and it was the black craftsman interchangeable socket driver pictured above, I removed the screw driver bit and it worked perfectly for what I needed.  I read horror stories online about people ordering three sets of panels because two sets got mangled in the install process, or that it took individuals 45 min to an hour to get these installed. This whole install should take you no more than 5 min. (Mine took a little longer because I kept playing with the panel placement to see what configuration I liked best.)


This is the underside of the polymer rail section, it has the "Lug" which slides into the KeyMod hole, and the locking tab at the rear. Notice that the slit at the base of the lug is angled to match the interior of your KeyMod rail slot. Spend a minute exploring how the piece fits and you'll realize that if you're forcing it onto the rail... it's because it isn't inserted properly.


In order to be installed properly, the lug needs to be flush with the surface of the rail, this is where I used my craftsman interchangeable socket driver. I used it to push firmly on top of the lug until it was flush with the rail.


The Lug is in the KeyMod hole, but the locking tab is not. Firm pressure on the lug will allow you to slide the piece forward into the slot as designed.


As I apply firm pressure to the lug portion I use my other hand to wiggle/push the polymer section forward in the KeyMod hole. Apply the firm pressure until the lug is flush with the rail, this isn't a strength contest, don't press so hard that you can't slide the polymer section forward.


After you've pressed on the lug and slid the polymer piece forward just a bit you will notice that you can remove the pressure and the lug will remain flush, once you get to this point you can push the lug the rest of the way forward without the downward pressure. If you find it difficult to move the rail forward, add the downward pressure again as you wiggle/push. Wiggle/push the piece forward until the locking tabs are flush with the rail. This is a very simple process!


The other sections are the same, if you are fighting the polymer sections, or grunting in exertion, you have something amiss. I found it easiest to slide the polymer section back off the rail and try again in this case. The first time I tried inserting this section pictured above, I didn't have all the lugs flush with the rail, and I was getting a lot of resistance when sliding the piece forward. Just stop, push the piece back, and try it again. These rail sections are very tight and can require some finesse, but forcing the pieces will result in broken pieces and bruised knuckles.


Applying a little pressure to slide the rail section forward, first one side....


Then the other....


Hopefully this has helped, or at least proved that these rail section covers aren't junk as touted by other online opinions. Yes, they are harder to install than Magpul XTM panels, but I didn't find anything overly burdensome or difficult during this install.

I ordered two sets and it left me with just the right amount of rail coverage. The panels fit tightly on the rail and don't add unnecessary bulk. They seem well made and a perfect addition to your Noveske NSR Rail.

Note - Good luck finding these in stock in the color that you want. Just bite the bullet and realize that with FDE and Black colors always sold out... Foliage Green may be in your future....

1 comment:

  1. I installed a set of these on a kac urx 4 and ended up trimming them to slide on

    ReplyDelete