Friday, December 27, 2013

Noveske Chainsaw Build Part Two (Noveske (VLTOR) MUR Upper, NSR 13.5 Rail and Noveske LW SS Barrel)

Noveske Chainsaw Build Part Two 

The skies opened and cherubs carrying coffers of cash sprung forth, to fund my Noveske Chainsaw build....
No... not really... I sold some things and used the profits to fund my habits...

This build got expensive fast, I want to use quality parts and I prefer to keep it as close to the Noveske line as possible. I'm not building a trick rifle, or a mall ninja wall hanger, I'm just building a solid rifle and I've purchased tasteful upgrades as I saw fit.


I've assembled the lower using the Stag LPK and I think the trigger is pretty nice for a mil-spec trigger, no grittiness, minimal creep and all the parts assemble and lock up nice and tight. This is the first lower I've assembled and it was much easier than the online guides led me to believe. I took all the tips that they suggested and I didn't have a stray hammer mark or ding throughout the whole process. I put everything together sitting on my couch watching TV with a slab of 2X4 on my lap, some painters tape to cover surfaces and an old claw hammer (I still cannot find my machinist's hammer). I did find that a good sized Tupperware container to hold all the tiny parts is indispensable to this build.  Any angry beaver can put a lower together.


I ordered a VLTOR A5 receiver extension and buffer kit, I've read plenty of reviews online where people liked the smoothness that it imparted to the recoil, so I took the plunge and bought one. I've never had any experience with VLTOR until this build, and their parts/components look to be very well made. Snake oil?... too early to tell... but if it is, at least it's well made snake oil.


This Noveske MUR (Modular Upper Receiver) with forward assist was garnered from Gunbroker because no-one has any in stock online (With no restock date in sight). This is a chainsaw marked upper, and as such it has some minor cosmetic blemishes which don't bother me in the least. It looks well built and it should pair well with my NSR keymod rail.


Chainsaw!


The Noveske line of barrels are not for the light of wallet, and I paid an arm and a leg for this stainless lightweight profile 16 inch barrel. I figured if I was going to build a chainsaw, I might at least use the barrel that helped make Noveske famous. The upside is that it comes with a rock solid pinned low profile gas block and mid-length gas tube, so you don't need to purchase those separately.

Note: Do your own research about barrels, don't believe 90% of what you read, and if you can afford it and you want it.... buy it. It's a barrel and it won't last forever, but it will most likely last a very long time unless you abuse it. Most of what you read on the internet forums is pure hearsay, the "My brother-in-law who is a contractor said that his best buddy had a stainless Noveske barrel that was shot out after one carbine class" comments are rampant, pay them no heed.


The Noveske NSR rail came very well packaged and it looks really nice and feels really light.... that's all I have to say about it until I've got it installed.




The iron cross branding is a nice touch... some would say that this is the reason that Noveske products command such a high price... I don't disagree that this is a big part of the Noveske charm, but I think the no gimmicks, reliable gear that Noveske produces is also pretty desirable.


I still have some work to do before I end up with a complete  rifle, but now I have most of the major parts and the others are on their way. I'll do a follow-up (Part Three) in a week or so when I get everything assembled.

2 comments:

  1. Can you please provide comments/feedback on the A5 buffer system?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been really busy at work, will report back soon!

    ReplyDelete